Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Another Quilting Bee Block

I made another block for Melissa using this tutorial. The had us not do the diamond in the middle, and the final size was 24.5"x24.5". These blocks really remind me of swoon blocks. I like how it turned out. Melissa sent us all the fabric, except for the gray circles on white background. She wanted the block to be very light, with creams, grays, and ivory. The print I added is Sweetwater's Mama Said Sew collection.

I cannot wait to see what the final result looks like!

Friday, October 26, 2012

Quilting Bee Block

I finished making these two fun blocks for Tiffany using this tutorial. Here are the two blocks:

Don't they look cute together? This gives you an idea of what the final result will look like.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Summer Sampler Block 10: Evening Star

I finally decided to go back to these blogs after a long hiatus. Here is the link to the tutorial. I had missed paper piecing, and I was quite happy with the result.

I have 2 more blocks left to make, and a few extras to make the size I want. Yay!

Monday, October 22, 2012

Sew Red For Women: Block 8

Here is block 8:

The instructions actually were for making 2 blocks (and the kit had enough fabric to make 2), so I made 2. Here they are next to each other:

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Brown Bear Quilt

This quilt is finally finished! It took me about 5 audio books to finish it. I think it is my biggest quilt to date (50"x75"). Yeah, it is a baby quilt :) Well I guess it can be used a play-mat or something... This quilt is for a baby girl of a dear friend of mine.

A little story behind this: I, a former math-major, turned engineer, cannot count. I had originally planned this quilt out to be 4x6 blocks, each block 13"x13" finished. So even without sashing, that would have been 52" x 78", and I wanted to add a border and sashing. So I had cut out components for those blocks:

Then at one point, while trying to figure out the backing, I finally figured out it would have been humongous! So I decided to half the number of blocks, to make it 3x4 blocks. I spent a long time trying to figure out what color to make the sashing. I am quite happy I picked red. So finally the top was put together:

For quilting, I outlined all the blocks, within about 1/3" away from the seam. Then I did straight line quilting about 1/3" from the animal panel units. Finally, the other thing I did (due to the major time crunch), is adjust the binding with my machine on both sides, and I am quite happy with how it turned out.

So without further ado, here are some pictures:

This is the whole done quilt.

Here is the backing. It is pieced from various fabrics from the collection.

Draped over our couch, gives you an idea of how big it is.

Here is the close-up of the border and binding.

I really like this block design for showcasing fabrics from a panel. This worked well for the quilt, because the corners remind you of bear paws.

And the sashing really brings out the "bear paws".

And of course here are some pictures with my favorite models :)

Friday, October 19, 2012

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Little Apple Quilt - Done

This quilt has been done a while ago, it just took me a while to attach the binding. Here it is!

Binding detail

Backing / Quilting detail


I like how it turned out! It is such a cute quilt! I just need to find a good home for it now! Perhaps it will be my first item in my future etsy store!